Deviant Teachings Disapproved
- The overemphasis on identifying, bestowing, or imparting spiritual gifts by the laying on of hands and naming, supposedly by prophecy, specific gifts.
- The problematic teaching that present-day offices of apostles and prophets should govern church ministry at all levels
- The practice of imparting or imposing personal leadings by means of gifts of utterance.
- Kingdom Now or Dominion theology
This unscriptural triumphalism generates other related variant teachings.
- Manifest Sons of God and Joel’s Army
Without question, the Old Testament Book of Joel includes many endtime references. But the great and powerful army in Joel 2 is one of terrible locusts, an instrument of judgment on Israel. After Israel’s repentance, the army of locusts is destroyed by the Lord. Only after this destruction of the instrument of judgment does the promised revival come. “And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people” (Joel 2:28). It is a complete misinterpretation of Scripture to find in Joel’s army of locusts a militant, victorious force attacking society and a non-cooperating Church to prepare the earth for Christ’s millennial reign.
- Spiritualizing Biblical Events and History
A teaching announced as the revelation of a new truth should be checked out very carefully. Pentecostals have become accustomed to anointed and dynamic preaching. But hearing a teacher speak with authority and self-confidence does not make the teaching true. It must always line up with Holy Scripture. Personal charisma is no substitute for biblical authority.
- The Prosperity Gospel.
Read FULL ARTICLE